It goes without saying that a range of software and information technology solutions will be used in renewable energy and clean technology products and services.
What are the trends in the use of such software solutions in RE and cleantech? This page explores...
Apple $ 1 billion data center in Maiden, North Carolina, will have a 20 MW solar installation, located on 100 acres which will supply 42 million kWh of renewable energy each year. Apple is also building a 5 MW fuel cell installation adjacent to the data center, which will be powered by 100% biogas and provide more than 40 million kWh of baseload renewable energy annually.
The facility has already earned the LEED Platinum certification. The data centre’s chilled water storage system is designed to improve chiller efficiency by transferring 10,400 kWh of electricity consumption from peak to off-peak hours every day. Outside air is funneled into the building at night and during cool-weather hours. Use of outside air and the water storage system allows the chillers to be turned off more than 75% of the time.
The data centre also boosts white cool-roof to reflect sun, high-efficiency LED lighting equipped with motion sensors, and power distributed at higher voltages to increase efficiency by reducing power loss.
Facebook has officially announced the data center that it’s building in the chilly climate of Lulea, in Northern Sweden, and it’s going to be powered “primarily from renewables.” Woot woot! No, not solar or wind but good old hydropower (water and dams), which is still the hands-down cheapest kind of clean power available.
Facebook says it chose Lulea because of the low-cost clean power prices and also because the cold climate can enable Facebook to use the environment to cool the data center, cutting out many of the power-hungry chillers that are commonly used to power data centers. Cooling gear can sometimes account for half of a traditional data center’s power needs.
Is it all about only improving efficiencies? Is it a facebook attempt to get a peek into google's data center "secrets". In any case, everyone's benefiting out of it!
Apple and environmental watchdog group Greenpeace waged a public battle over how "green" Apple's products were over several years while Jobs was CEO. Environmental groups continue to pressure Apple to improve on some issues, but Apple's products today do not have the toxic chemicals that were there before regulations and environmental groups prodded the electronics industry to change.
Alternative energy was mentioned during Paul Otellini’s (Intel CEO) presentation (webcast link - http://intelstudios.edgesuite.net/idf/2011/sf/keynote/110913_pso/index.htm ). The CEO said the company has created a chip that can power a computer processor on a solar cell the size of a postage stamp.Otellini said the solar power CPU could draw sufficient power to run animation and other Windows applications from two small overhead reading lamps. Other parts of the computer were powered through a traditional power supply.
Why do I have a feeling that we are soon going to see significant amount of interactions between IT and cleantech, and not just in smart…
The world's first solar-powered netbook, Samsung Electronics’ NC215S laptop, is the ideal product for a continent where electricity access can be limited, but sunlight is never in short supply.
The solar-charging capability means that it is also the first genuine environment-friendly product of its kind, with a lower carbon footprint than any other laptop on the market.
Before making deliveries in the past,
highly trained experts had to perform
manual compliance checks on all products,
even those that are not hazardous.
This checking took place at shipping time,
risking delivery delays, and was an allconsuming
task for these experts who
had much to contribute on higher levels.
Therefore, Dow Corning made dangerous
goods management its next priority.
Using integration to materials data, it
used rules to segregate nonhazardous
from hazardous products. Now the 70%
of products that are nonhazardous are
checked automatically on receipt of order,
and the experts spend time only on the
30% that are hazardous – for big savings.
Do software companies have a standalone software to track their environmental footprint?
What are the plans by tech heavyweights such as IBM, MS, Goog, Amazon etc., for making data centers more green? Are there specific programs that they have which could result in significant improvements in this area in the near future?
Latest Updates from Green IT
Latest CleanTech Video View All
UK Center for Applied Energy Research algae press conference
Recent Questions @ CleanTick
- How I Can get the Retrodynamic Formula Effect?
- Algae Biodiesel Production
- Young Guns from IIT Bombay Work on Maximising Returns from Chillers
- PowerWall - what are your thoughts?
- I need this any one pl
- biomass productivity
- protein content in algae
- Anacardic Acid
- Mahindra & Mahindra announces hydrogen fuel cell research centre in India
- Microsoft to combine data centres and renewable power generation
- Malaria vaccine from the teats of genetically altered goats
- EVs: How green are they?
- Biodiesel extracted from sea algae set to propel vehicles in India
- Researchers see new uses for humble algae
- Avinor and Aena study role of biofuels in aviation
- Airlines raring to adopt biofuels in pursuit of carbon-neutral growth
- A promising source for biofuel: Methyl ketones
- 16-year old works with US Air Force on algae biofuel
Recent Videos View All
- UK Center For Applied Energy Research Algae Press Conference The Video Features A Press Conference To Announce A Partnership...
- Algae Carbon Capture At The University Of Kentucky University Of Kentucky Researchers Are Looking At The Potential Of...
- Low Cost Photo Biorector System For Cultivation Of Micro Algae Srinivas Gogineni's Technology Is A Photo Bioreactor For The Cultivation...
- India's First Micro Algae Biodiesel Vehicle India Witnessed The Test-drive Of The Country’s First Vehicle Running...
- Volkswagen Partners With Amyris And Solazyme Volkswagen Will Work With Solazyme And Amyris To Evaluate Emissions...
- Airborne Wind Turbine Makani Power Is Developing An Airborne Wind Turbine (AWT) To...
- Research At Montana State University For Algal Biofuel Biofuels Are A Broad Assortment Of Fuels That In One...
- NMSU Working To Develop Aviation Fuel Made From Algae New Mexico State University's First "Research Rally" Was Celebrated Dec....
- Algae Fuel Could Become Inexpensive Alternative Spain Based BFS- Biofuel Systems, Pumps CO2 Into Tubes Filled...
- The Life Of Algae This Short Video Takes A Look At The Cultivation Of...